29.3.09

BEING A CONTORTIONIST.

Yesterday I had a conversation about how much you have to know someone to call them a good friend, and to feel as if you know enough about them to consider them family. I have to admit that for me as much as knowing everything about someone is a personal game, it can get to a point where you know so much that if you were to learn one more thing about them it would ruin the balance of your relationship.

For example yesterday, I was asked (hypothetically) what if I was in an abusive relationship,and my head snapped back and my eyes widened and then I laughed. The person most likely thought hmmm is that shock because I would think such a thing or is it surprise that I found out?

Rather than keep that to myself, I am not in an abusive relationship, however my reaction is such because I would never, ever, did I say never? be able to imagine myself in that position. Being abused is much more than physical pain, it is more than the memory of it, if you know anyone who was abused it is a character changing event that can never be erased. Abuse is something that can make people change their actions, their words, their aura, it is akin to being a contortionist. You never quite the same shape again, and many times those around you might be facing that situation but you will never be able to tell because ultimately it is the grey area of life.

If you don't have any experience in this area, read Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold its a great book about a girl and pain and vengeance from beyond the grave. The whole time your reading the book you feel pain, its an amazing read.

Ultimately, my point is that sometimes we don't know everything about all of those around us, but maybe just maybe there are some people who you do know well and that can be enough. Personally there are people in my life that I am thankful for because without them I would not be able to imagine my life...

Staccato~she can make me smile with her silence.
Serenity's Lyric~is my greatest supporter.
Sounding Board~I could tell him I wanted to rule the world and he would ask when? My encouragement.
The Painter~you can just tell she wants the best for everyone.
Smiler~great or not,your troubles are never too much for him to hear you out.
MiAmor~She is the sister I never had, always there to fight for me.
Prof~One of the few ppl I've met who can challenge me to think about something, and a holder of one of the best hearts I know, hands down.

This is just a condensed list but I truly am a believer that I am blessed in who I know and wherever I am years down the road,these people will still be apart of my life, so regardless of how much you know about someones life, be glad to just know them. Sometimes that can simply be enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment