28.12.09

Stark Reality...

They say that Christmas is a time of birth, a time of giving not receiving, a time of cheer and merriment, a time for thankfulness. But how many of us centre this time around those things? How many of us truly cherish what we have?

I know that for alot of people this time is about putting social graces first, about doing things for the sake of doing rather than giving, for nothing more than the possessions that we seek to exchange on Boxing Day.

A few weeks ago I was faced with the part of Christmas that I most hated, the lines in the stores, the bah humbug attitude of shoppers and to my surprise a few discriminatory words in a parking lot. It made me seethe, so much that I called everyone in my life to tell them of my woe but what I didn't understand at that point was how blessed I was to have that encounter.

You see because I stand here in this nation at this time in history to feel the remark thrown at me, and I am now grateful because I have the ability to walk away, to ensure that I do not think like that. That I do not force that stark reality on anyone else.

Then last week I went out to do something that I haven't done in years and that was volunteer at Christmas, to serve food at a soup kitchen. As I walked in those doors my eyes swam with the realization that to many this was homecoming, this was shelter, this was a place of safety. Somewhere that for many of us coming to volunteer that day was a place that we wouldn't visit while we stopped Downtown, somewhere that we professed to "know" about but somewhere we refused to live.

I felt all these emotions rush through me but none of it was as sincere as the look that I faced when I looked up and saw the sincerity of a young man who was taking a bowl of soup and turkey with eyes filled with something that I couldn't place. Was it shame? sadness? Was this the face of poverty? No, it was sincerity, grate fullness and a genuine smile that transcended the place we were in.

One look as a thousand looks made me see that I was part of this crazy world but while I was moaning and groaning about life, about bills, about being underpaid, about all the things I did not have. I was looking across at a smile that came from his eyes, his lips and his soul. He was a person truly grateful for where God had placed him and he was not letting it crush him, while I was finding ways to put one foot in front of another.

The stark reality of it all is that you cannot stop being grateful of who, what, where and why you are here. There are so many things that you can change, but many circumstances that you cannot. You and your life deserve the ability to not be afraid, to carry yourself through your life.

No one else can take your place.

No comments:

Post a Comment